Dist admin yet to prepare affected people's list
April 23, 2011
|These indigenous people have taken shelter under a tree as their houses were burnt to ashes in the last week's violence over a land dispute in Ramgarh upazila of Khagrachhari. The district administration is yet to rehabilitate them.Photo: DAILY STAR|
Five days after the violence between Bangalee settlers and indigenous people in Ramgarh, rehabilitation of the affected people faces delay as the district administration is yet to prepare a comprehensive list of those affected.
The deadly clash over a land dispute on Sunday left three people dead and scores of houses burnt and vandalised. Many are starving under the sky under this situation.
So far, the Khagrachhari administration has identified 58 families as affected although the Hafchhari Union Parishad chairman gave a list of 105 families to the District Council Chairman Kujendra Lal Tripura.
Locals demand compensation for 130 families of Chankhola Para, Kacubauinti, Purba Bara Pilak Para and Reangmarang Para.
Deputy Commissioner Anisul Haque Bhuiyan, however, told The Daily Star that they are working to prepare a complete list of the affected people as soon as possible.
The district administration is distributing some relief but many in need of those have received none, locals said.
Kapil Molla, a day-labourer of Purba Bara Pilak, said he was not listed even though he was attacked during the clash and cannot go to work because of his injury since. He said his five-member family is starving.
Nurul Wahab, another affected from Kacubaunti Para, blamed a group of “influential people” for his not being on the list although his house was vandalised. He would not say who those influential people are.
Mongsi Marma is a farmer of North Chankhola Para. Attackers coming out of the blue burnt down his house. He, too, is out of the list.
LIVING IN PANIC
Five days on, people in Ramgarh are still in panic. Section 144 was still in place in the area yesterday.
Some of the otherwise busy and crowded spots like Guimara Bazar, Bara Pilak Bazar and Ramsu Bazar of the upazila looked deserted when this correspondent went to visit the area yesterday morning.
Dulal Ahmad, a trader at the bazar, said a few hundred indigenous people gather there every day but not a single of them came to the market since the violence.
The first terminal examination at Bara Pilak Junior High School was suspended after it started on Saturday, as students, most from indigenous families, are not coming to the school.
Of the 150 students in the school, 94 are indigenous.
“We cannot resume the exam, as students remain absent since the violence,” said Moazzam, the headmaster of the school.
People are not coming out of their home for fear, said Chaithowai Chowdhury, chairman of Hafchhari Union Parishad under Ramgarh upazila.
Rumors also add to their panic.
Thuichai Marma of Chankhola Para, for example, heard from neighbours around 10:30pm on Wednesday that a group of Bangalee settlers were on their way to attack them, which later proved to be false.
On the same night, Anwar of Bara Pilak Bazar came to know that police recovered two bodies of Bangalee settlers from Reangmarang. When he called Guimara police, they termed it a rumour.
Courtesy: The Daily Star